Herding cats - A picture of daily life in the institute

With such a diverse population of people it is no easy task keeping the Omega Institute operating smoothly.

Our membership consists of Vampires, Werewolves, Androids, Felines, Witches, a Ghost, a Lesbian Biker Doctor, Angels and at least one Succubus. All of these people have differing motivations and personal drives. Our overarching goals are sometimes our only point of commonality.

This makes for a complex home life, to say the least.

Taking yesterday as an example:
I started out the day working in my forge with some help from my little sister Chelsea (one of the aforementioned werewolves). I’m trying to make something special for our Scholars to wear as an insignia of rank.

I came home to find an outside Angel, Constantine, giving odd orders to my cybernetic sister Varys. Varys is very new to Toxia and didn’t have a lot of safeguards against outside interference.

I attempted to give Varys an updated set of command protocols (to stop others from messing with her head) and while this was happening one of our playful kitties, Alyssa, bounded in to help. This made the project more difficult (Alyssa kept trying to pull up a user menu while I was building some protections into the system - like “don’t take orders from strangers”.
My beautiful Redd showed up and, an android herself, showed an abundance of concern for the situation… and also started trying to issue commands to poor Varys.

This ended with Alyssa trying to alter Varys’ personality profile to make her “all gangster, like ‘yo yo yo’” while Redd desperately tried to stop her and work with Varys to figure out what her protocols were. I got frustrated (I was having trouble getting a word in edgewise on the project that I started) so I took a stroll out on the cool evening streets to give myself a moment to calm down.

I came back – a huge argument between Redd and Constantine unfolded and people scattered all over (with Chelsea courting some young wolf-man by the fire). We provided Varys with some additional instructions to protect her going forward and then I finally got a few free moments to spend with Redd (something that’s really hard to come by. Redd’s a caretaker by nature and there are a lot of hurt souls in Toxia.) I was sitting on the docks looking over the water and trying to calm her down a bit (it had been a rough day already) when Darcia, the recent spawn of our Ghost-sister Dryl, showed up needing assistance in getting back to the safety of the Library.
On top of this there were a couple of arguments in the family (one lover’s quarrel, another disagreement between friends) and the normal behind-the-scenes plotting of all the factions in Toxia to contend with.

I love my family… crazy as they are but this Succubus is going to wait for everyone to leave, then pull a big tub up next to the fire and take a hot soaky bath.

0 comments:

Post a Comment